01 June 2006

Music for medication

So I've been sick with this cold for about two months now, yes I had a little remission in the last two weeks of April, but by and large this cold has been with me since April Fools' Day. And you know what? I think I'm done with it. From here on out I refuse to believe in illnesses of any kind. That way I get to blame something else (the weather, karma, God, whatever) and when I recover I get to thank those same mysterious forces. Obviously if you have any fun ideas for who I can blame/thank feel free to let me know.

Two musical interludes to talk about. Neither of them sound like their roots are in any music that happened after 1960, but don't let that put you off.

Number one is a guy called James Hunter. He's a white dude from south-east England, proclaimed by no less a musical force than Van Morrison to be "Englands best kept R&B secret" and you know when he says R&B he means like Wilson Pickett not R. Kelly. Anyhow, the guy sounds like Sam Cooke and if you find any of his stuff it's worth digging up. The music, not Sam Cooke.

Secondly is a guitar and stand-up bass duo originally from Boulder, Colorado (home of Mork and Mindy) but who, over the last ten years, have been separately recording and playing in Atlanta and New York. Go here to soak up a little of their flavor. They just have something indefinable that makes me want to hear more every time I start listening.

Anyhow, that's what I've been tuning to when I'm not playing back-to-back-to-back football classics in the car.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?